On 25 January 2023, Lex Delles, Minister for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Carlo Thelen, Director General of the Chamber of Commerce, and Carole Muller, President of the Luxembourg Confederation of Commerce, presented the "Pakt Pro Commerce 2023".
The "Pact Pro Commerce", launched in 2016 by the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, the Chamber of Commerce and the Luxembourg Trade Federation, aims to boost and support the development of local trade through a series of practical measures. It is therefore an important strategic tool to guide policy.
The Minister for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Lex Delles, presented the basic elements of the 2023 edition of the "Pakt pro Commerce". This is divided into five thematic areas, which are to be understood as focal points for reflection and action:
- The first area concerns the commercial cadaster. This is a database which maps the national commercial offer. It makes it easier to follow the development of the various commercial sectors and to identify trends, such as the development of the vacancy register ("Leerstandskadaster"). With the new "Pakt Pro Commerce", retailers can use certain information from the register to support their strategic decisions, for example when choosing or opening a new location. Municipalities participating in the Cadastre project have access to a comprehensive range of analytical tools and advisory services. The general public can also access a selection of cadastral data via the geoportail.lu website.
- The second part of the "Pact Pro Commerce 2023" provides for a statistical analysis of the evolution of trade in Luxembourg by means of a business data portal and various studies. These studies include the "Retail Report", which analyses the commercial offer at national level.
- The third part of the "Pakt Pro Commerce" concerns the organisation of a "Retail Event" in July 2023 in the City of Luxembourg.
- The fourth seeks to attract more customers from the Greater Region through innovative promotional measures.
- The last part of the "Pakt Pro Commerce 2023" is aimed at making retailers aware of their social responsibility (RSE). In this context, the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises is offering a new tool to help small and medium-sized enterprises individually to prepare for the RSE label.
In this context, Lex Delles, The Minister for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, stressed that "local commerce is a central pillar of our villages, and with the "Pakt Pro Commerce", the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, the Chamber of Commerce and the Luxembourg Confederation of Commerce are demonstrating that they are not only observing the evolution of commerce, but are actively accompanying it".
Carlo Thelen, Director General of the Chamber of Commerce, welcomes "the renewal of the Pact Pro Commerce, a very effective tool that provides relevant initiatives for the development of the commercial sector in Luxembourg. It aims to provide concrete support to businesses in order to better manage and face the current challenges in a rapidly changing environment. In this complex context, the Chamber will continue to support retailers on their entrepreneurial journey, in particular through the services offered by the House of Entrepreneurship.
Carole Muller, President of the Luxembourg Confederation of Commerce, stated that "the Pakt Pro Commerce is an important initiative to support commerce and the CLC is pleased to be able to work well with the Direction générale des classes moyennes and the Chambre de commerce".
Press release by the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, the Luxembourg Trade Confederation and the Chamber of Commerce