After months of preparation, the EFAD, the film agencies and Culture Ministries from 13 countries launched, in presence of Culture Ministers Sam Tanson (Luxembourg), Rima Abdul-Malak (France) and Claudia Roth (Germany) during the 73rd edition of the Berlinale the European Solidarity Fund for Ukrainian Films.
This unique solidarity action aims at helping Ukrainian filmmakers while fostering coproductions.
The fund is implemented through collaboration and financial contributions from fifteen European ministries and national film funds:
- Belgium: Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF), Cinema and Audiovisual Centre of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (CCA)
- Cyprus: Ministry of Culture
- Croatia: Croatian Audiovisual Center
- Estonia: Ministry of Culture
- France: CNC and the Ministry of Culture
- Germany: Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media
- Greece: Greek Film Center
- Ireland: Screen Ireland
- Italy: Ministry of Culture
- Lithuania: Lithuanian Film Center
- Luxembourg: Film Fund Luxembourg
- Netherlands: Netherlands Film Fund
- Portugal: Institute of Cinema and Audiovisual
- EFAD (Europe): European association of national film agencies
"We are very proud to see that ESFUF comes to light, materializing the solidarity of our members with Ukraine and our capacity to unite. We are very grateful to the CNC for having initiated and accepted to coordinate this project that our association will support and promote” declared Luis Chaby Vaz, EFAD President.
This support scheme is administered by a committee composed of one representative of each contributor and managed by the CNC. It aims at financing Ukrainian cinematographic works at development and finalization stages. A budget of one million euros is available to support projects selected by a jury of five independent experts, through two calls for projects launched in 2023. The first call is open from now on. Applications can be submitted to the CNC until 17 March. The results of this first selection round will be announced during the Cannes festival in May.
Press release by the Fonds national de soutien à la production audiovisuelle and the European Film Agencies (EFAD)